Hawaii Pacific University to restructure cheer, dance teams | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Hawaii Pacific University has announced that its cheerleading and dance programs will be restructured as part of an overall HPU strategic planning process.
The university on Wednesday said the restructure is "intended to bring all university activities into alignment for the future health, financial well being and sustainability of the university."
Both the cheerleading and dance programs have been among the nation's most successful in competitions over the past decade, with the large cheer squad recently winning its 10th consecutive National Cheerleading Association championship. The small cheer squad and dance programs have also won multiple titles.
HPU says expenses for the programs have grown significantly in recent years, and to bring both costs and program expectations in alignment with other athletics endeavors, university leaders made the decision to reorganize the teams.
HPU is continuing scholarship assistance for returning cheerleaders and dancers so that no current program participants will be disadvantaged by the change. The squads will not compete as teams at national cheer and dance competitions, though members will be able to take part in individual competition, if they so choose.
HPU Athletics and Campus Recreation Director Darren Vorderbruegge said he is looking forward to working with the coaches and athletes as the programs transition to their new status. "The individuals involved with these programs have been well recognized for their success, and I have every reason to believe that as the programs now change, the personal commitment of the coaches and students will ensure that the tradition of excellence continues," Vorderbruegge said. "I expect that cheer and dance will contribute to an even better fan experience at HPU athletic events and be great representatives of our student body and our university in the community and around Hawai‘i."
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day