HPU cheer squads win big at National Championships in Florida | News
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (HawaiiNewsNow) – The large co-ed cheer team from Hawaii Pacific University is tops in the nation—for the tenth consecutive year.
HPU's large and small co-ed cheer teams took first place in the National Cheerleaders Association and National Dance Alliance Championships on Friday in Daytona Beach, while the school's dance team placed third in the Dance Open II category and fourth in the Hip-Hop category.
It was the small co-ed team's sixth overall NCA/NDA title, after having won championships between 2005 and 2008 before going winless until last year.
The NCA/NDA Collegiate Cheer and Dance Championship brings cheer and dance teams together from across the nation every year. More than 5,000 student athletes compete across a variety of disciplines and divisions.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Republic of Korea Government Donates $45,000 of Korean eBooks to Hawaii's Public Libraries
- The Republic of Korean Government Donates $45,000 of Korean eBooks to HSPLS
- Mid Pacific Institute Sixth Graders Raising Funds to Help Typhoon Haiyan Victims
- Hawaiian Telcom Celebrates Total Entertainment Kiosk Grand Opening
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Raises $3,000 and Restores Land During its Annual “Zip for the Trees” Event