HPU cheer squads win big at National Championships in Florida | News
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (HawaiiNewsNow) – The large co-ed cheer team from Hawaii Pacific University is tops in the nation—for the tenth consecutive year.
HPU's large and small co-ed cheer teams took first place in the National Cheerleaders Association and National Dance Alliance Championships on Friday in Daytona Beach, while the school's dance team placed third in the Dance Open II category and fourth in the Hip-Hop category.
It was the small co-ed team's sixth overall NCA/NDA title, after having won championships between 2005 and 2008 before going winless until last year.
The NCA/NDA Collegiate Cheer and Dance Championship brings cheer and dance teams together from across the nation every year. More than 5,000 student athletes compete across a variety of disciplines and divisions.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Koko Marina and Koolau Theaters to show UH Football Games Live
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Windward Mall Invites Local Non-Profits to Participate in 10th Annual Festival of Giving
- Windward Mall Welcomes Five New Retail and Dining Options
- Kamalapua O Koolau awarded $20K toward youth education in Windward school district
- Ka 'Ohana student newspaper excels in national competition
- Hawaii gas prices remain mostly stable