HPU cheer squads win big at National Championships in Florida | News
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (HawaiiNewsNow) – The large co-ed cheer team from Hawaii Pacific University is tops in the nation—for the tenth consecutive year.
HPU's large and small co-ed cheer teams took first place in the National Cheerleaders Association and National Dance Alliance Championships on Friday in Daytona Beach, while the school's dance team placed third in the Dance Open II category and fourth in the Hip-Hop category.
It was the small co-ed team's sixth overall NCA/NDA title, after having won championships between 2005 and 2008 before going winless until last year.
The NCA/NDA Collegiate Cheer and Dance Championship brings cheer and dance teams together from across the nation every year. More than 5,000 student athletes compete across a variety of disciplines and divisions.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Gee Yung Martial Arts to perform lion dance at Koko Marina Center
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer
- Prudential Locations Welcomes Experienced Agents Arashiro and Hsia