Hagadone recognizes top schools in phonebook recycling contest | Environment
Information courtesy: Jason Seaborn
Hawaii's largest commercial printer, Hagadone, announced today the two top-performing schools in its recently concluded phonebook recycling contest.
Hauling in 4,400 books, Leihoku Elementary School in Waianae claimed First Place in the contest and a $2,500 cash prize for the school. Holy Family Catholic Academy came in Second Place with their delivery of 1,177 phonebooks, and will receive a $1,000 cash prize to benefit the school.
“Everyone here at Hagadone, and the larger community of Oahu, is so proud of these kids and their commitment to our environment through recycling,” said Clint Schroeder, president of Hagadone.
“Talking about helping the environment is one thing, but for these kids, they were able to see, in a very tangible way, how their hard work had a direct, positive impact on the island they live on.”
The two schools will be presented with their checks at their respective locations. Leihoku will have its presentation Thursday, April 5, from 10:00 – 10:45 a.m. at 86-285 Leihoku Street, Waianae. Holy Family will have its presentation Wednesday, April 4, from 7:45 – 8:15 a.m., at 830 Main Street, near the Honolulu Airport off North Nimitz Highway.
Overall, Hagadone's phonebook recycling contest diverted than 8,700 phonebooks from their original destination on Oahu's landfills. In addition to a variety of its other environmentally-conscious, proactive programs, Hagadone sees a vital importance in eliminating additional unnecessary waste being sent to Oahu's landfills.
Each year, Hagadone's industry-leading environmental initiatives lead to a real and significant positive impact: 60,000 trees are saved from being chopped down, more than 44 million gallons of water are conserved, almost 60,000 BTUs are conserved, almost 4 million metric tons of solid waste are diverted from landfills, and almost 12 million tons of greenhouse gases are averted from entering into Earth's atmosphere.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014