Armstrong Builders receives another award for sustainable project | Environment
HONOLUU - Armstrong Builders has received another award for its Kumuhau project on Oahu, earning the Gold Award for Best Detached Home of the Year in the 2011 Dream Home Awards. Designed and built by Armstrong Builders in partnership with the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, this dream home is both affordable and environmentally friendly.
“We were able to implement a number of cost savings measures, such as prefabrication and creative procurement, to ensure these homes would be affordable to buy,” said James Keller, president of Armstrong Builders. “More importantly, we combined a number of green features with a thoughtful layout to allow residents to save money and minimize their environmental footprint for years to come.“
Kumuhau consists of 45 single-family homes located at the base of the Ko'olau Mountains in Waimanalo. Featuring Hawaiian Plantation-style architecture, there are five different model homes, ranging from three to five bedrooms. Among the homes’ green features are solar photovoltaic panels, rainwater harvesting systems, dual flush toilets, high-quality insulation, and low-VOC paints, flooring and carpet. The homes also feature whole house fans, which are used to naturally cool and ventilate the homes by exchanging hot air, moisture and odors with fresh air that is pulled in from the outside. All five of the model homes in the Kumuhau community have been certified as LEED Gold.
Presented to architects, builders and interior designers, the Dream Home Awards recognize companies and individuals who actually create the homes that Americans dream about, while raising the bar for excellence in the national building industry.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Windward Mall Invites Local Non-Profits to Participate in 10th Annual Festival of Giving
- Windward Mall Welcomes Five New Retail and Dining Options
- Kamalapua O Koolau awarded $20K toward youth education in Windward school district
- Ka 'Ohana student newspaper excels in national competition
- Hawaii gas prices remain mostly stable