Suspected car thief shot by HPD officer | Crime
Gunfire rocked a Kalihi neighborhood shortly before noon on Tuesday.
Police shot a suspected car thief who witnesses say was running around Kalihi Street with a gun. The 50-year-old suspect suffered a gunshot wound to the head, but was responsive at the scene.
The incident occured when security guard Tony Roberts saw a man trying to steal a car from the nearby parking lot. Roberts says when he confronted the suspect, but backed off when the suspect pointed a gun at him. Roberts then alerted police and ran into a building.
The gunman then darted across the street and into Jams World Factory.
"I saw this big, big man running with something in his hand. The guy never looked kind of right with the way he was booking," witness Karl Flores said.
Flores, a Pepsi delivery driver, got out of his truck and directed officers who were on the scene within a few minutes.
Jams World employees were terrified.
"We heard the shot. We went into one of the rooms and locked ourselves in there," Jams World employee Fe Callejo said. "We all dived into the ground. It was a tense moment."
Sources identified the suspect as Michael Davis. He allegedly fired at an officer after he entered the building. The officer returned fire, hitting Davis in the head. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition, but was later upgraded.
Davis' weapon was recovered at the scene of the crime.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Prevent Child Abuse Hawaii Invites Community to Share a Bear at Windward Mall
- Kaneohe Library Offers Free April Storytimes and Screening of "Frozen"
- Kaiser Permanente Offers Hearing Health Seminar at Koolau Medical Office
- Windward Mall Springs Forward with April Events
- How Mark Towill raised $20M for a boat race
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Hosts Oldest-Ever Zipline Participant
- Manoa Library Celebrates Earth Day with Free Events in April
- "Experience Easter" Event at Manoa Valley Church on April 20
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for March 2014
- RevoluSun walks the talk of sustainability with the Earth Day challenge