Suspected car thief shot by HPD officer | Crime
Gunfire rocked a Kalihi neighborhood shortly before noon on Tuesday.
Police shot a suspected car thief who witnesses say was running around Kalihi Street with a gun. The 50-year-old suspect suffered a gunshot wound to the head, but was responsive at the scene.
The incident occured when security guard Tony Roberts saw a man trying to steal a car from the nearby parking lot. Roberts says when he confronted the suspect, but backed off when the suspect pointed a gun at him. Roberts then alerted police and ran into a building.
The gunman then darted across the street and into Jams World Factory.
"I saw this big, big man running with something in his hand. The guy never looked kind of right with the way he was booking," witness Karl Flores said.
Flores, a Pepsi delivery driver, got out of his truck and directed officers who were on the scene within a few minutes.
Jams World employees were terrified.
"We heard the shot. We went into one of the rooms and locked ourselves in there," Jams World employee Fe Callejo said. "We all dived into the ground. It was a tense moment."
Sources identified the suspect as Michael Davis. He allegedly fired at an officer after he entered the building. The officer returned fire, hitting Davis in the head. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition, but was later upgraded.
Davis' weapon was recovered at the scene of the crime.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day