Special Olympics Hawai‘i Supporters Take a Dive on the Wild Side, March 5 | Community Spirit
WHAT: This Saturday, Special Olympics Hawai‘i is taking to the water with its third annual Polar Plunge. More than 100 local supporters who have raised $100 or more will be getting cold to help local athletes go for the gold, and taking the plunge into a pool of ice water.
Last year, courageous plungers raised more than $20,000 for Hawai‘i athletes. Special Olympics Hawai‘i is also hosting a “Super Plunge” for participants who raise more than $1,000. Super Plungers will take the plunge, 12 times in 12 hours, starting at 6 a.m.
All funds raised through Polar Plunge will stay in Hawai‘i and will help support Special Olympics Hawai‘i’s 44th annual State Summer Games. Athletes are already training in swimming, track and field, powerlifting and softball for the annual event which will take place May 27 – 29 at the University of Hawai‘i – M?noa.
WHEN: Saturday, March 5, 2011
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
WHERE: Restaurant Row at Waterfront Plaza
Makai lawn along Ala Moana Boulevard
MEDIA INTERVIEWS: Representatives and athletes from Special Olympics Hawai‘i are available for media interviews, by advance request. Please contact Crystal Yamasaki at 808-753-7134 or email@example.com to schedule.
DETAILS: Special Olympics Hawai‘i’s mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community. All services are provided at no cost to the athletes or their families.
CONTACT: Crystal Yamasaki
Bennet Group Strategic Communications
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- HUGS Receives $24,000 from Forever Giving for Emergency Airfare Assistance to Seriously Ill Keiki
- Mariah Williams Captures Speech Title
- CENTRAL PACIFIC BANK’S ‘WALKS FOR YOU’ RAISES $100,454 TO BENEFIT FOUR LOCAL NONPROFITS
- McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii Awards $25,000 in Scholarships to Ten Employee-Scholars
- Registration Open for John R. Wooden Basketball Camp, June 3 - 6