Special Olympics Hawai‘i Supporters Take a Dive on the Wild Side, March 5 | Community Spirit
WHAT: This Saturday, Special Olympics Hawai‘i is taking to the water with its third annual Polar Plunge. More than 100 local supporters who have raised $100 or more will be getting cold to help local athletes go for the gold, and taking the plunge into a pool of ice water.
Last year, courageous plungers raised more than $20,000 for Hawai‘i athletes. Special Olympics Hawai‘i is also hosting a “Super Plunge” for participants who raise more than $1,000. Super Plungers will take the plunge, 12 times in 12 hours, starting at 6 a.m.
All funds raised through Polar Plunge will stay in Hawai‘i and will help support Special Olympics Hawai‘i’s 44th annual State Summer Games. Athletes are already training in swimming, track and field, powerlifting and softball for the annual event which will take place May 27 – 29 at the University of Hawai‘i – M?noa.
WHEN: Saturday, March 5, 2011
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
WHERE: Restaurant Row at Waterfront Plaza
Makai lawn along Ala Moana Boulevard
MEDIA INTERVIEWS: Representatives and athletes from Special Olympics Hawai‘i are available for media interviews, by advance request. Please contact Crystal Yamasaki at 808-753-7134 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
DETAILS: Special Olympics Hawai‘i’s mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills, and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community. All services are provided at no cost to the athletes or their families.
CONTACT: Crystal Yamasaki
Bennet Group Strategic Communications
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- Windward Mall Invites Local Non-Profits to Participate in 10th Annual Festival of Giving
- Windward Mall Welcomes Five New Retail and Dining Options
- Kamalapua O Koolau awarded $20K toward youth education in Windward school district
- Ka 'Ohana student newspaper excels in national competition
- Hawaii gas prices remain mostly stable