Legislators and staff help Hawai’i Habitat for Humanity Association "Hammer it Home"! | Community Spirit
Last week, Hawai’i legislators and their staff spent the morning hammering home the important message of affordable housing legislation. As part of Hawaii Habitat for Humanity’s “Hammer it Home” nail-driving contest, Hawaii state lawmakers were given the chance to compete with their fellow legislators in how many nails they could drive in one minute.
Kathleen Hasegawa, Executive Director of Hawaii Habitat for Humanity, explains why public awareness events are so crucial: “’Hammer it Home’ brings attention to the critical need of affordable housing in Hawai’i especially in this down economy where many working families cannot afford rent each month, let alone own a home.”
This is the third annual nail driving contest for Hawaii Habitat for Humanity. After a two hour hammering spree, Representative Tom Brower and Representative Cindy Evans ended up driving the most nails for the legislator’s category. Bernadete Fo and Ola Kakalia tied for the category of the top women staff of the day. Larry Sayaysay, won the overall and the male staff category of the nail drive contest with 15 nails in one minute.
Thank you to all the legislators and staff who participated! Also, a special thanks to Honolulu and Leeward Habitat for Humanity for their materials, skills, and help during the event.
Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization which helps low income families realize their dreams on homeownership by partnering with them to build simple, decent homes and advocating for affordable housing. The Hawaii Habitat for Humanity Association is a statewide support organization through Habitat for Humanity International whose mission is to support the seven homebuilding affiliates of Habitat in Hawaii by facilitating efforts to secure resources to build homes, promote the unique Habitat self help model, and raise awareness that housing is a basic human need. Our vision is that all people in Hawaii will have housing in which they can thrive. Habitat for Humanity has built over 200 simple, decent, affordable 0% interest homes in partnership with families in Hawaii.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day