Palolo Elementary School Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award | Business
Principal Ruth Silberstein of Palolo Elementary School was named a finalist in the 2012 Masayuki Tokioka Excellence in School Leadership Awards. One Hawaii public school principal will receive $25,000 (a $10,000 personal cash award and $15,000 towards a school project of his or her choice). The recipient of this year’s award will be announced at the Public Schools of Hawaii Foundation dinner on April 13, 2012 in Honolulu.
The award, which is named after Island Insurance founder Masayuki Tokioka is underwritten by the Island Insurance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Island Insurance Companies. Eleven public school principals from across the state are finalists for the award which recognizes outstanding school principals across the state and their efforts to provide high-quality learning opportunities for their students.
Ruth Silberstein has been principal of Palolo Elementary for 11 years. Facing challenges such as poverty, gang violence, truancy and more than half of students learning English as a second language, changes were implemented under the No Child Left Behind Act. A year after implementing changes, for the very first time, students were prepared and able to complete their Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) exams. After two years, Palolo reached AYP standards and became a school in good standing.
“As a former Honolulu District principal, I had the opportunity to watch Palolo Elementary transform from a low performing school to meeting the Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP),” said Judith Saranchock, Ed.D. “This is because Mrs. Silberstein’s commitment and love of children transformed the school.”
The Island Insurance Foundation was established as the charitable arm of Island Insurance, the only locally-owned property and casualty insurance carrier to have a charitable entity solely dedicated to supporting the non-profit community. Island Insurance is Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed P&C insurance carrier with financial strength ratings of “A” by A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings and is the only Hawaii-Based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 property & casualty insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for four consecutive years. For more information, visit its website at: www.islandinsurance.com.
# # #
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Koko Marina and Koolau Theaters to show UH Football Games Live
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Windward Mall Invites Local Non-Profits to Participate in 10th Annual Festival of Giving
- Windward Mall Welcomes Five New Retail and Dining Options
- Kamalapua O Koolau awarded $20K toward youth education in Windward school district
- Ka 'Ohana student newspaper excels in national competition
- Hawaii gas prices remain mostly stable