Beekeepers receive support from Governor | Business
The beekeeping industry in Hawaii received support from the Governor today.
Gov. Neil Abercrombie signed into law Senate Bill 482 (Act 131) which allows beekeepers to sell honey out of their homes without a permit.
Beekeepers are only allowed to sell up to 500 gallons of honey per year. And they must put adequate labels on each container listing that the honey was home-produced and that honey shouldn’t be eaten by infants under one year old. The beekeepers must also go through an approval process by the State Department of Health and provide adequate records of their production for two years.
Hawai`i Board of Agriculture Chairperson Russell Kokubun said the bill will help with the sustainability of the beekeeping industry.
Gov. Abercrombie shared a personal story of a time when he lived in Makiki. He found a beehive in one of the trees on his property. He said, “The realities, if you will, just on that personal scale brought home what bees are to really a survival of humanity.”
State Apiary Specialist Danielle Downey said that this bill was a, “just in time response to knowing how important bees are for our healthy ecosystem, for our food chain – and not just honey bees. Hawai`i has a lot of special bees.”
The bill signing kicked off “Hawai`i Pollinator Week” which recognizes the environments of bees, birds, butterflies, bats and beetles.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day